[Q] Recompiling packages for i686

Hi,

I've heard that software compiled with optimizations for a particular
processor (say, i686) boosts performance by as much as 20%.  I was
wondering what is the best approach to take if I want to automatically
download src, compile and install all the packages that are currently
installed on my machine (sort of like 'make world' in <gasp!> FreeBSD).

I know I can use apt-get to download source and the .diff file.  Anyone try
something like this before?

Thanks.

Thaths
PS: Am posting this to -devel because it concerns developers more than
users.
--
Lisa:  "Dad. You killed the zombie Flanders."
Homer: "He was a Zombie?"