letter to the editor in lwn

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:06:26 +0100
From: Dave Peacock <davep@netscape.com>
To: letters@lwn.net
Subject: Outrage at Debian dropping security for 2.1

Who the hell do Debian think they are?!

How dare they make people wait a _ridiculously_ long time
for an official release, and then drop sec support within
a few months? That is completely unacceptable.

Security is a _vital_ aspect of any software, _especially_
an OS.

Debian has been dropping in my opinions for a while now,
for various reasons, but this is really the icing on the cake.

Debian, you have _totally_ lost my support.

_Maybe_ I can understand dropping support for non-sec
bug fixes this early, but security fixes should at _least_
be worked on for a year or two, ideally, indefinately.

I think I will replace my 2.1 machines with a dist that
has a better release cycle, no bloatware (read - wannabe
crappy packages with no value in a base OS dist), and
some kind of concept that sec fixes are _critical_.

Debian developers/maintainers/people of power:
Please re-consider and maintain sec stuff for _at least_
a year.

--
Dave Peacock                    Technical Support Engineer
davep@netscape.com                     +44 (0)208 564 5121

--
see shy jo