One global config.guess?

Hi,

I've seen several bug reports from the people working on the arm and mips
ports of Debian saying that a package's config.guess is too old. This
problem will appear with every new architecture and many packages.

My proposal is to include one global config.guess (and perhaps a
config.sub, too) for all packages in Debian (perhaps in the
build-essential package?). I see two possibilities how to force packages
using this global config.guess:

1. include in the policy that every package has to replace it's
   config.guess (if there's one) by links to the global one

2. include in the build scripts to replace all config.guess with links
   before compiling

cu,
Adrian

                -- Mahatma Ghandi