Strange installation problem -- perhaps debconf?

I've received the following bug on `gnats':

  Unpacking gnats (from .../gnats_3.113-7_i386.deb) ...
  Setting up gnats (3.113-7) ...
  sh: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
  sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
  sh: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``'
  sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
  sh: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
  sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
  sh: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``'
  sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
  install/gnats: byte-compiling for xemacs21...

I've never seen this in gnats myself and the reporter is unable to
reproduce the problem now too.

The only place when the /var/lib/dpkg/info/gnats.* files contain
back-quotes outside of comments is the template file for debconf.  Is it
safe to use quotes and back-quotes in template files?  I couldn't find
any reason why not.  All my installation scripts are written in bash.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

Thanks,

Milan Zamazal

--
"Having GNU Emacs is like having a dragon's cave of treasures."
                                                Robert J. Chassell