Re: Root Kit Protection

I've decided to go ahead and write someting like this in perl for my own
ease-of-use; it'll be GPL. The administration details are the interesting
part... I'd like to use the MD5 sums from /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.md5sums but
I'm really not sure how to ensure that these haven't been tampered with since
installation. Perhaps if we could integrate it with tools such as
dpg/apt/etc to add the necessary MD5sums to a configuration file and PGP
sign said file... however, PGP signing a file automatically would be very
difficult to automate. All of this is coming off the top of my head so I may
be missing a very obvious way to handle this; any input? It'd be much
appreciated...