Re: RFC: Debian an die Schule

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 12:46:48PM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:

Hi Torsten!

> Come on, it was like this for all types of software a few years ago. We
> only need to get something developed. And writing a vocabulary trainer
> does not seem very complicated. Well, getting the vocabulary in there
> might be a problem. And there is already the official software of the
> school book publishers to accompany their books...

Yes that's excatly the problem. First, the teachers want the "official"
software fitting excatly to the textbook. Free software can't be like the
"official" software because of licence issues. I think that developing the
software for that wouldn't be the problem, but the contents. I suppose
most developers aren't that interested and don't know that well about topics
like "Neue Deutsche Rechtschreibung". There must be a cooperation of
developers of free software and developers of free teaching material.
Unfortunately I think most (existing) teaching material is not free.

I know the situation of schools in Bremen quite well and you could say that
Linux is used in most schools, but let's say in 90% of the cases only as
server. The normal PCs are half Wind*ws, half Apple. An in computer studies
(Informatik) almost 100% of Bremens schools are using Apple Macintosh. :(
The problem is that there are only few young teachers and a high number of
old teachers. For example in our school the average of age is 51 years!!!
That means quite a lot of teachers are older than 60 and also these teachers
are teaching computer studies. I think with young teachers at the age of
30 it'd be much easier to convince them to Linux. This might be different
in other Bundeslaender.

Greetings, Roland

--
Roland Bauerschmidt -- Freiberger Str. 17, 28215 Bremen, Germany
phone: +49 421 3762382, e-mail: roland@copyleft.de, http://roland.inbremen.net

Debian GNU / Linux -- the choice of a GNU generation