netbase 3.16-10 and TCP SYN cookies being enabled by default

The new netbase package (3.16-10) enables syncookies by default if they're
compiled in the kernel. No warnings, and the only documentation for this is
in the changelog.Debian file...

Now, IMHO it should at least give a WARNING: TCP SYNCOOKIES ENABLED message
on the init.d script, as syncookies are supposed to cause some connectivity
problems as a side-effect (or at least that's the idea I got from reading
some docs in the net a while ago). You shouldn't enable them if you don't
need them, I think... There's probably a good reason why the Linux kernel
maintainers do not enable it by default when the support is compiled in.

I'd rather this was a configuration option (ask the user), but a warning in
the init.d script (and one in the install scripts is probably a good idea as
well) is enough to me.

I've not filled a bug against this (yet) because I couldn't find #43402 in
the archived bug reports, and I'm not sure if using syncookies when not
needed is really that bad...

  Henrique Holschuh