Re: Mailman, hard links and the Openwall

* Gergely Madarasz said:

> > it makes hard links in /tmp?  this seems like bad design in general
> > as many people have /var and / (and/or /tmp) on separate partitions
> > in which case hard links won't work anyway, patch or not.
>
> No, it doesn't make hard links in /tmp. It makes hard links within
It doesn't make cross fs links, true.

> /var/lib/mailman/lists, sometimes as a different user as the file was
> originally created with (mail, www-data and list are the possibilities).
The /var/lib/mailman/lists catalog is SGID 'list' but files are owned by
root.lists (why?) - I see no reason for Mailman to run as root (!!), it's
more reasonable to run it as lists and make the entire tree owned by this
user. That's how I changed my setup - Mailman always runs as list and the
tree belongs to list.

> I haven't read the original problem so I don't know what is exactly the
> case, but for example solar designers secure linux patch prevents
> hardlinks like this, so it can't be used with mailman :/
Exactly what the original problem was about. I'm using the Solar Desginer's
patch and Mailman works provided I make the changes described above. I think
they should be the default for each and every package that uses hardlinks
for any reason.

marek