Re: Debian FreeBSD

On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 11:03:55PM -0700, Darren O. Benham wrote:

> > Would you have to run glibc?  There's a *BSD libc that seems to work
> > just fine and is probably more well supported.  What are the arguments
> > against using that?
>
> None.  Part of the "problem" is deciding how much to make GNU and how much
> to leave native...

I was wondering the same thing.  I just installed NetBSD on the Digital 3000
(AXP 21064).  I must say... "wow".  Configuration nightmare lies ahead of
me, but the box is working after more than a year of inactivity.  I need to
get a new disk (the one it's got is partially busted)

I was sketching a plan to Debianize the box: browsing the hurd archives I
guess I should start trying to get base up and running, then any important
pacakge not in base, then the standard packages as the need shows up and
then slowly work my way thru the devel section.  Noone needs this machine
for anything useful, so this can take as long I want.

To make things easier, I though I should keep as much of the BSD -devel
environment as possible, so configure scripts detect BSD and actually work
with that instead of a Linuxified BSD system.

> Or more the the point...when does BSD become Debian GNU/BSD?  When does
> Solaris become Debian GNU/Solaris (there is such a project, right?)

I'm still wondering where the thin line that makes every flavor BSD appart
lies, let alone figure out where the GNU line is drawn.

						Marcelo