Re: Looking for project to work on

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Andreas Tille wrote:
> > There I set up a page for the image viewer paul.  I split
> > gtkimreg from this project.  I have plans to add a widget, say
> > GtkRotate, which lets the user rotate images.  There are rotating
> > algorithms in ImageMagick (I had a look at the 4.2 code and have
> > access to the relavant rotating code) or in Gimp.
>
> Are those rotating algorithms which also do subsampling? That takes more
> CPU, but makes the image much better..
I'm not sure, what you mean with subsamplimg.  May be it enlightens you id
I cite from the source of ImageMagick-4.2.0/magick/shear.c:

%
%  Method RotateImage, XShearImage, and YShearImage is based on the paper
%  "A Fast Algorithm for General Raster Rotatation" by Alan W. Paeth,
%  Graphics Interface '86 (Vancouver).  RotateImage is adapted from a similar
%  routine based on the Paeth paper written by Michael Halle of the Spatial
%  Imaging Group, MIT Media Lab.
%

  /*
    Perform a fractional rotation.  First, shear the image rows.
  */

In general I want to focus on *high quality* rotation and will spend
more CPU time for that purpose.  I started writing paul to get the
most of my images and to know *what* the image processing does.  So
I'm interested in the highest quality algorithms.

As I said in another mail:  If there is some interest in enhancing
paul (libgtkimreg was just split from paul for the stated purpose)
I would like to invite everybody to make it a full featured image
viewer.  There could be easily added features but I will only work
on the feautures I need myself.  By the way I started using
gettext for internationalisation support (not successful yet) and
so its possibly interesting for common use.

Kind regards

   Andreas.