Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 03:37:38AM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 06:26:48PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> Thanks seeS...!

err. i'm not seeS. i think you're confusing me with Craig Small. or
someone else. i rarely bother with irc and when i do, it's as 'cas'.

> >  - a bridge between the *BSD and Linux worlds...depending on whether
> >  their reaction is "somebody wants to play with our stuff...cool!"
> >  or "how dare those barbarians pervert our precious code".
>
> This is why I suggest FreeBSD's kernel.  OpenBSD isn't the same
> without OpenBSD userspace and the FreeBSD people are MUCH more likely
> to see it as "somebody wants to play with our stuff...cool!" than the
> NetBSD people are.

i think the OpenBSD kernel is probably more interesting.  IIRC, it
was originally based on the NetBSD kernel, which runs on a lot more
architectures than FreeBSD....and on a lot of architectures which Linux
doesn't run on.

i don't think many people who are interested in Debian GNU/*BSD are at
all interested in the bsd userland, as that wouldn't be debian.  The
interesting thing would be debian running on another kernel.

craig

--
craig sanders