Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 11:27:17PM -0600, Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:

> I don't know if the FreeBSD people will like the idea of you
> ``hijacking'' their kernel, throwing a bunch of GPLed software on top
> of it, and calling it a distribution.  I think you should talk to them
> about your idea before you even consider working on it.

aren't the {Open,Free,Net}BSD kernels free software, which can be used
for any purpose?

what's wrong with using it as another kernel for the Debian GNU OS?

i've got no objections to being polite and talking to them, but free
software is there to be used by anyone for any purpose...that's the
point of it.

i'd try a Debian GNU/FreeBSD combination if it existed.  Their kernel is
nice, but the disorganised, archaic, and messy userland really sucks.
Their /usr/ports system is OK, and 'make world' is nice but neither of
them even begin to make up for the overall feel of cruftiness....if i
wanted everything useful to be unmanageable cruft in /usr/local, i'd run
a non-free OS like solaris and spend a week compiling all the GNU tools
etc.

> Integration is fine.  Forcing it isn't.

it wouldn't be forcing anything on the original FreeBSD project. it
would be using a core part of their effort and doing something different
with it.

craig

--
craig sanders