Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On 18 Feb 1999, Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:

> If that's all you're doing, then you don't need a separate
> distribution.  Just say ``the *BSD kernel can emulate Linux well
> enough to run Debian GNU/Linux on top of it,'' create a Debian package
> for the *BSD kernels, call it `Arch: i386' and your ``port'' is done.

Yes, that sounds like a cool idea actually.  We'd have to make some packages
for procps that work with the freebsd kernel and whatnot, since their proc
filesystem is different, but this sounds very cool.  If we did it, I'd try
it out in a heartbeat.  One last q: can the BSD kernel boot off a ext2
filesystem?

Also, to remake our own custom kernels, we'd really have to "debianize" the
source so it went in /usr/src/freebsd or something, altho if we have to keep
it in /usr/src/sys as per current BSDishness, I won't mind.  But to make it
compile under the current Debian filesystem layout... That will be an
interesting project.

Cheerio.

Jonathan