Re: Neat gtk/gdk-imlib pain

Hi!

 >> Erm, but that doesn't make any sense in the context of glibc!
 >> glibc2.1 is NOT a unique soname but is simply a glibc2.0 with
 >> changes. Somehow the symbol versioning is used to tell '2.1
 >> special' programs apart from '2.0 special' programs and 'do the
 >> right thing' You don't need to have two libcs.

 JP> I believe that's the purpose for it in glibc.  But it's a generic
 JP> facility that might be useful in other areas (like what I'm
 JP> suggesting).

Symbol versioning is finer-grained than sonames (i.e. if you change
the soname, you break symbol versioning).  Regardless of whether we
have it or not, we still need a way to fix inter-library dependency
graphs that depend on conflicting sonames.

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
    Lovers of freedom, unite!     \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)