Re: revisited ITP: webmin

Quoting J.H.M. Dassen Ray":
> On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 16:41:45 +0100, Gergely Madarasz wrote:
> > Can a package in main recommend a package in non-US/main ?
>
> IIRC, no. But "Suggests:" should be fine.

	Mostly because "Suggests" seems to be something along the
lines of "This package has nothing do do with the one you're
installing, but the package maintainer really likes it!"

	I was browsing through the slink-and-a-half package list last
night (still not ready to run potato on my production server), and
came across stuff like this:

Package: grace
Section: math
Installed-Size: 2214
Maintainer: Enrique Zanardi <ezanard@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 5.0.1-1
Replaces: xmgr
Depends: lesstifg (>= 1:0.85.2), libc6, libgd1g, xlib6g (>= 3.3-5),
xpm4g (>= 3.4j-0)
Suggests: lynx
Filename: dists/stable/main/binary-i386/math/grace_5.0.1-1.deb
Size: 1144662
MD5sum: fbe4eac01a3f876d890498bb0136f6ce
 Grace is a point-and-click tool that allows the user to draw X-Y plots.
 This is the program formerly known as Xmgr.
 .
 A few of its features are: User defined scaling, tick marks, labels,
 symbols, line styles, colors. Polynomial regression, splines, running
 averages, DFT/FFT, cross/auto-correlation. Batch mode for unattended
 plotting. Hardcopy support for PostScript, HP-GL, and FrameMaker .mif
 format.

	Okay, so I see PostScript, HP-GL, and framemaker in there.  No
image-free HTML, however.  Why the hell does it suggest lynx?  My only
conclusion can be that Mr. Zanardi likes lynx and thinks people should
just generally install it.

	Some of them are a bit more ridiculous:

Package: gettext
Section: devel
Installed-Size: 951
Maintainer: Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.10.35-7
Depends: libc6
Suggests: emacsen
Filename: dists/stable/main/binary-i386/devel/gettext_0.10.35-7.deb
Size: 345558
MD5sum: 6732781e1b8a37fb7601df0e2580b74b
 Interesting for authors or maintainers of other packages or programs
 which they want to see internationalized.  Users of GNU packages
 should also install GNU gettext because some other GNU packages will
 use the gettext program included in this package to internationalize
 the messages given by shell scripts.

	Gettext isn't specifically bound to any one program.  If
anything, the maintainer should be suggesting something like gcc!  You
might as well suggest bash, since it uses gettext too!

	This one took the cake, though:

Package: sam
Section: editors
Installed-Size: 291
Maintainer: Raul Miller <moth@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 4.3-6
Depends: libc6, xlib6g (>= 3.3-5)
Suggests: ssh
Filename: dists/stable/main/binary-i386/editors/sam_4.3-6.deb
Size: 202870
MD5sum: 36dbe5ceb775d3b0248865e349403f33
editting
 sam -d can be used without X (with an ed-like interface -- but with
 more powerful regexpressions, the capacity to edit multiple files with
 a single command, and unlimited undo).  Files can be added to an
 exiting sam session using the B command.
 .
 sam without the -d option is an graphical editor with pop-up menus and
 a point+click interface. You'll want to read sam's manual page to use
 the full power of sam, but you can probably figure out how to do basic
 editting with a minimum of trial and error.
 .
 If you have a Plan 9 terminal, you can use the Plan 9 terminal with
 sam to edit unix files, but not vice-fersa; the Plan 9 authentication
 scheme does not honor remote execution requests from a non-Plan 9
 system.

	Since when does a text editor have *anything* do do with a
remote access and authentication suite?  Perhaps the maintainer just
wants people's text files to be edited securely?  Why not just
Suggest ssh with *every* package!  I mean, ssh can improve the
security of emacsen and lynx as well!

	Of course, I admit that I could be missing some horrendously
esoteric network-oriented aspect of Plan 9, here.