Re: Hosed potato/main/Packages...

On 30 Sep 1999, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:

> Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> writes:
> > Yeah, just uploaded some new packages which fix the typo.
>
> I just hand-edited my available file. :-)
>
> > Maybe it should be trapped by dinstall
>
> I tend to agree.  I wonder how that can be done using the tools
> themselves, so we don't end up with implementations that differ.

If the "installing programs" go belly up because of typos in individual
packages, it is the responsibility of the build program to validate those
critical fields. Validating the control file (like the changelog is
validated during the source build) before the build is the right place to
do this.

On the other hand, it could be argured that dselect and apt should not
fail so miserably over a single package with a minor flaw. (There should
be some fairly simple recoverey logic for these error cases...like mark
the package a broken and go on with those parts of the install that don't
depend on that particular package)

In slink, if you include dhttp in the install, without first installing
the packages that dhttp pre-depends upon, dselect will roll over and play
dead before it tries to install any packages. It should probably just mark
dhttp as a failed attempt, and go on with the rest of the packages.

Luck,

Dwarf