Re: building kernel 2.0.x under potato

(I originally meant this for the mailing list, but it seems I forgot to
set the cc:, therefore I'm doing it now.)

Herbert Xu wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 10:27:32PM +0200, Filip Van Raemdonck wrote:
> > Kernel compilation ignores the CC variable. The compiler is hardcoded to
> > 'gcc' in the toplevel Makefile.
> > I'm surprised that nobody ever seemed to notice this before (as the use
> > of different compilers for kernel compilation has come up quite some
> > times on this list before).
>
> You better look again, it's certainly *not* hardcoded.

In /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.1/Makefile (the most recent slink source
.deb available):

on line 18
HOSTCC          =gcc

and on line 25
CC      =$(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I$(HPATH)

This goes for other (debian|upstream) versions as well.

BTW, is any 2.0.38 package planned?

Regards.

Filip Van Raemdonck
        mechanix@digibel.org