Disk Performance

I am currently playing around with vmware, running win98. However, the
performance stinks (I am using a beta release though). The strange thing
is though that if I do a
find / -print > /dev/null
in another window, the performance IMPROVES...

Now I am worried that there is a bigger question here...
My / files are all on a SCSI disk, while vmware runs off an IDE drive.
Could this have something to do with interrupts? Or DMA settings?
Any thoughts?

My IDE drive is an UIDE drive, but I cannot find a way to tell the kernel.
Does it automatically know? Its a Quantum Fireball 10GByte. It seems
to know it is dma (using_dma is set).

Here is my /proc/ide/ide1/hdc/settings...
name                    value           min             max             mode
----                    -----           ---             ---             ----
bios_cyl                19885           0               65535           rw
bios_head               16              0               255             rw
bios_sect               63              0               63              rw
breada_readahead        4               0               127             rw
bswap                   0               0               1               r
file_readahead          124             0               2097151         rw
io_32bit                0               0               3               rw
keepsettings            0               0               1               rw
max_kb_per_request      64              1               127             rw
multcount               0               0               8               rw
nice1                   1               0               1               rw
nowerr                  0               0               1               rw
pio_mode                write-only      0               255             w
slow                    0               0               1               rw
unmaskirq               0               0               1               rw
using_dma               1               0               1               rw

what is nice1? and pio_mode write-only looks curious...

Here is the output from hdparm -i /dev/hdc
/dev/hdc:

 Model=QUANTUM FIREBALL CX10.2A, FwRev=A3F.0B00, SerialNo=833920130551
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=19885/16/63, TrkSize=32256, SectSize=21298, ECCbytes=4
 BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=418kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=off
 DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=2(fast)
 CurCHS=19885/16/63, CurSects=20044080, LBA=yes
 LBA CHS=621/512/63 Remapping, LBA=yes, LBAsects=20044080
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 *mword2
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4
 UDMA modes: mode0 mode1 mode2

Here is the output from hdparm /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 multcount    =  0 (off)
 I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 nowerr       =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 19885/16/63, sectors = 20044080, start = 0

I guess hdparm -c 1 -m 16 might improve things, but why does it go faster
when I use the scsi disk??

/proc/interrupts is
           CPU0
  0:    6189709          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      11676          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  4:      89680          XT-PIC  serial
  5:     146029          XT-PIC  aic7xxx
  8:    1539593          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:     265750          XT-PIC  eth0
 10:          1          XT-PIC  soundblaster
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 15:      44096          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

During bootup, the kernel (2.2.12) reports...

PIIX3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
  ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
  ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio

/dev/hdc is not detected by the bios. Incidentally, if I let the bios
detect the disk, the kernel starts hunting for /dev/hda, which causes a delay
of 10 seconds or more during bootup (I only have one IDE disk). Even then,
the BIOS never reports that it is a DMA disk (it can
detects the mode automatically only). Surely this delay indicates a problem
with the kernel?

All help appreciated. I have checked the HOWTOs, but they are seriously lacking
in useful information concerning this...

G.

--
Gordon Russell
http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~gor