Re: Alternate versions of the same shared library?

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 12:36:17AM -0400, Camm Maguire wrote:
> Greetings!  Is there any way to maintain alternate versions of the
> same shared library on a Debian system?  (i.e. same soname)  One can
> have two packages which conflict with each other, but I was thinking
> about some run-time switching functionality, like in the
> 'alternatives' system, so that one could choose between an
> experimental but fast shared lib, and the trusted but slower one, at
> runtime.  I've tried several things, but lintian disallows most of them.

You can install the alternate lib (using the same name and soname) in
another directory, and have the loader find this only if you set the env
var LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the dir containing it.
Have a look at packages liblockdev*-dbg and/or libdb2*-dbg which
installs debugging shared libs in /usr/lib/debug.
In /usr/lib/debug/README.debug you find clear (I hope :) instructions
even on how to run gdb on setuid binaries.

fab