Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

Wednesday, September 15, 1999, 5:49:09 AM, Marek wrote:
> Huh? /opt IS a standard, and yet you opt (sic!) against it? So what IS your
> point anyway?

    Well, if you would *READ* you'd get it.  Instead you just want to argue.

>>     Windows is the standard in business computing.  So let's all jump on the
>> standard, who's with me?
> That's irrelevant. Chose better example.

    Why?  Just because that example works and proves my point that standards
for standards sake aren't above scrutiny all of a sudden it isn't a valid
example?

>>     Well, so much for standards *just* for standards sake.  Standards need a
>> decent reason and I don't feel a new top level directory "just because" is a
>> good enough reason.
> New? Is 20 years *new* in your book?

    According to some quoted material it is < 10 years, not 20.  Yeh, that's
new compared to /usr, /etc, /dev, /home.