Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was:

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 02:41:04PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     The program goes into /usr/bin, the program's data goes into
> /var/something/or/other. Why create a whole new data directory in the
> /usr tree (/usr/packages) which is really data for a program. Data,
> from my understanding, goes in /var (despite what Raul thinks, Debian
> does have some sane separation for data) and programs and the ilk into
> /usr.

Mutable data typically goes in /var by default.  Constant, system
independent data typically goes in /usr/share/.  Constant, architecture
specific data typically goes in /usr/lib/.  If an associated user id
is created that's a special case and the data goes in the user's home
directory [currently that's /home/ but we may be able to change that at
some point].

Ad hoc data, especially random READMEs seems to be showing up in /usr/doc
(which we're in the early stages of changing to /usr/share/doc --
basically so it can fit into the above organization).

And, of course, we have made a special exception for X.

And, we will eventually expect commercial software to be installed under
/opt/.  [We're not quite ready for that yet: /opt/bin isn't in the PATH
set by /etc/profile, for example.  On the other hand, the current man-db
is by default ready for /opt/man.]  [I just noticed the problem with bash
and have just now filed a bug report against it -- thank you for your part
in helping me notice this.]

..

That's what Raul thinks, anyways.  [I'm not sure why you felt it important
to imply that I think Debian doesn't have a sane separation for data.]

--
Raul