Re: Migrating to GPG - A mini-HOWTO

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 04:38:36PM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:
>
>    On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 03:38:34PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>    > I signed my DSS key with the old RSA key and then asked people who
>    > signed the old key to sign the new one with their DSS key.
>    > This is easy and secure.
>
>    Again, no it isn't. How do they know that someone didn't steal your pgp
>    key?=20
>
> How is this different from the question ``How does dinstall (or other
> person/program) know someone hasn't stolen [developer]'s PGP key?''

Because I can issue a key revocation if a key that I own is compromised.
I cannot issue a key revocation for a key that I never owned. There are
two scenarios here:

1. Someone gets my private key
2. I discover the compromise and revoke my private key
3. Further signatures with my private key are invalid

1. Someone gets my private key
2. The intruder signs a new key with my compromised key
3. Based on the sig from the compromised key, you sign the new key
4. I discover the compromise and revoke my private key
5. Further signatures with my private key are invalid
6. Someone starts signing messages as me with the new key that you
validated

Mike Stone