Re: building zlib on the Ultra

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> > > This is a problem with conflicting uname -m. UltraSPARC port is currently
> > > considered a sparc-linux platform (sparc32 running under sparc64). I have
> > > submitted a bug against shellutils so that when FAKE_SPARC=yes is set in
> > > the env, uname -m will report sparc and not sparc64.
> > >
> > Well, hopefully it will not be a problem, unless there is something else
> > that requires its use...

> The only reason it will be there is to aid in compiling sparc32 binaries
> on sparc64 systems. Thus it fakes autoconf and friends when detecting the
> system type. I have this in use on the buildd system, since it too is an
> UltraSPARC. The buildd user runs in a constant FAKE_SPARC environment and
> I have observed no problems so far.

> IIRC, RedHat has something similar, but I forget the exact implementation
> they use.

I usually change the rules file to do

   "configure `dpkg --print-architecture`-linux"

which has the same results.  I _think_ Red Hat uses a special
environment variable (or spec file variable) which contains the build
architecture that the user specified on the "rpm" command line.  (They
also use this to handle builds for i686 &c.)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu