Re: Compiling the kernel with the new gcc - help

On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 12:53:14PM -0700, David Bristel wrote:
> I recently compiled the 2.2.12 kernel and noticed that the no-strict-alias is
> added by default with the latest gcc versions.  No problems.  2.2.10 is
> outdated, so why not upgrade?

> > > I am getting messages like:
> > >
> > > seagate.c: In function `internal_command':
> > > seagate.c:1252: Invalid `asm' statement:
> > > seagate.c:1252: fixed or forbidden register 3 (bx) was spilled for class BREG.

Aliasing problems give no messages, they just silently make bad code. I got
messages like this when compiling modules in 2.2.12 recently. To my discredit,
I simply commented out the offending code and deleted the resulting modules
(which weren't relevant for my system) instead of forming a bug report. But
2.2.12 doesn't fix the problem.

David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org