Re: Diskless package.. (X-Windows doesn't work)

[ I have sent copies of this message to the original sender and
the debian-devel mailing list ]

Note to debian-devel:

I have received this problem report from one of the users of my diskless
package. Apparently the Unix domain socket is never created. I have no
idea of why this should be the case. Anyone got any ideas? Is this a local
config problem?

Note to Markus:

Please check my comments below and tell me if I have said anything
that appears to be wrong.

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 10:38:23AM +0300, Markus Stenberg wrote:
> bam@snoopy.apana.org.au writes:
> > On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 07:07:43PM +0300, Markus Stenberg wrote:
> > > Ok, I've been setting up a 'generic diskless' setup here, for mostly all
> > > kinds of use. Problem: xdm refuses to show screen. If I startx manually,
> > > clients get permission denied and the /tmp/.X11-unix is not created. All
> > > relevant rights are allowed though (no_root_squash, rw) for NFS disks in
> > > question.
> > Can you please list me the contents of your config files? ie
> > /var/lib/diskless/<groupdir>/.config
> > /var/lib/diskless/<groupdir>/<ipaddress>/.config
>
> ms/.config:
>
> group=ms
> masterdir=/
> secure=no
> nfshomedir=/home
> nfsserver=131.177.225.65
> password=xxx.. ;-)
> nameserver=131.177.225.65
> domain=ete.tele.fi
> nis=yes
> devfs=yes
> shadow=yes
> locallogin=yes
> remotelogin=yes
> xdm=no

This config option turns off remote access to xdm. ie currently it just
comments out the entries in /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess. I probably should
remove it, and have "remotelogin" do both things.

I have just noticed that the permissons on /etc/X11/xdm/xdm.options
is wrong, it is -rw-------, instead of -rw-r--r--, but surely this
shouldn't cause this problem??

> x=xdm

This tells X to start via xdm.

> extras=no
> mail*=not relevant
>
> ms/131.177.225.134/.config:
> ip=131.177.225.134
> host=stenbma2-pc2
> mailname=stenbma2-pc2
>

> > What errors (if any) do you get if you try and start the X server manually?
>
> None; However, all clients complain about being unable to contact display
> :0·0 (and that's obvious as for some reason /tmp/.X11-unix XFree usually
> uses for in-host communications is NOT created and does NOT contain the
> socket used for contacting local display.

In that case, I guess it rules out any problems with the xdm config files.

> > I assume you have created the XF86Config file?
>
> Yes. (Or actually, copied one over and patch'ed it appropriately)
>
> > My quick and dirty guess is that /tmp is not mounted properly. It may
> > be using the root filesystem, which should be read-only. Try creating a
> > file in that directory. If that doesn't work, try logging in as root and
> > see if /tmp is mounted. Use "mount" to do this. If it is not mounted try
> > manually mounting it. The following should be sufficient:
>
> Creating a file works; it's mounted rw. However, the problem is that X for
> some reason does not create it's local UNIX domain sockets, and therefore
> local clients do not work.
>
> If I fudge DISPLAY variable from :0.0 to localhost:0.0 it does work, as
> then TCP/IP sockets instead of UNIX sockets are used.

I have experienced a number of problems with X, but I have never
seen anything like this. Comments anyone?

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>