Re: Postfix as default MTA?

On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 08:40:31AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> It's good ..., but is it better than exim?

yes it is better than exim. it is as easy to configure as exim, at
least as flexible in what you can do with it, and has the advantage of
a secure design. speedwise, it has been found to be even faster than
qmail.

exim is good, but it does not have a secure design, and it is nowhere
near as fast (especially under heavy load - which is when speed counts)
as qmail, let alone postfix. exim suffers from the same kind of scaling
problems as sendmail and smail do.

> And even then, is it worth switching?

IMO, yes. the switch isn't difficult and provides numerous benefits.

changing the default mailer only affects new systems. it doesn't affect
existing exim (or whatever) installs. users who end up upgrading from
slink to potato don't even have to switch to postfix unless they want to
- by default, exim will just get upgraded to the potato version. they
have to select postfix in dselect or run "apt-get install postfix" if
they want to change. nothing is forcing them to change and exim will
still be available.

> I'm quite happy with exim here. It's much better than smail [I just
> switched my last smail off last week].

if you like exim, you will probably love postfix.

craig

--
craig sanders