Re: Debian coding style?

On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 04:16:35PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Your standard looks much closer to the GNU standard than the Linux one.
> Basically the linux standard squishes the code vertically by putting
> braces on the same line as the code, but expands horizontally by using
> 8-space indent. The GNU standard is horizontally squished with 2-space
> indent but all spread out vertically due to the braces.

And my style is kept reasonable horizontally with 2 space tabs and
vertically by using mostly K&Rish braces..  The only place I don't use
K&R braces is in functions because if I feel ot looks better if the
function header goes over 1 line.

> You'll probably find spaces instead of tabs more convenient when working
> with a diverse group of people with random editors; spaces are less likely
> to get mangled. (I use (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil) in .emacs to
> avoid tabs. You can remove tabs from a region with M-x untabify.)

I got so used to qedit tabs (spaces) that I don't use anything else
anymore.  Granted this means I have to put up with some other people's
nasty tabstops when I use their code, but it's better for me to not have
to make sure to use spaces so what I do looks right all the time.

> It's also conventional to preserve the author's coding style when
> submiting patches. That is, on your own projects it's fine to use the
> Corel standards, but it would be kind of bad to submit Corel-style code
> to a project that consistently used a different style (since the author
> would have to reformat it).

<AOL>I agree, that's the best way..</AOL>

"All we have to fear is fear itself!"
"And almost but not quite free software..."
"That too."
"And binary only kernel drivers."
"Okay, yeah, that too."
"And..."