Re: Draft DFSG version #6

On 09-Feb-99 Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> Umm, wait a moment. When I read the draft once again, I got the
> impression that it will make non-us, but currently DFSG-free software
> non-free.

Certainly not the intent.

> The problem is that the draft doesn't talk about the license of the
> software, but about the software itself.

It's partially wording.  It sounds more like lawyer-speak and not
common-man-speak to say, "The license must allow anyone..."  as opposed to
"Anyone must..."

> Maybe a solution is to add to the list of accepted restrictions (3),
> restrictions that are put up on the software by local laws,
> i.e. restrictions that the author has no control over.
Maybe.. or maybe a statement in the "use" column.  I'd have to think about it a
bit more, but I"m tempted to say that "foobar" is non-free if the source
is not available even if the laws of the author make it illegal for him to
distribute the source.