Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

   Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 23:10:26 +0100
   From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>

   * Is there a better way to do a library transition? I think it is very
   obvious, that the only correct behaviour is to change the
   library/soname of all involeved libraries when doing a transition.
   So we had to move either from libfoo.2 to libfoog.2, libfoo.libc6.2,
   libc6/libfoo.2 or whatever, until a new library with a new, incompatible,
   soname is released. Changing the name does not look correct, so we had
   to change soname or path.

When you make an incompatible change to a shared library, change the
soname.  That's just a matter of choosing a name for the new library
and tweaking a symlink.  There is no reason to do anything else.

What do you mean when you say ``changing the name does not look
correct?''

Don't confuse the name of the library found by the runtime linker
(libc.so) with the soname used by the dynamic linker (libc.so.6).  The
runtime linker will normally find a symlink to the soname.  When you
build a shared library, use the -h/--soname option to set the soname
of the shared library.

   Shouldn't there be a way to override rpath? Currently,LD_LIBRARY_PATH does
   override rpath, right?

No, LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not override rpath.  The rpath is searched
first, and then the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is searched.  I think you may have
agreed with that later in your message.

Ian