Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

Chris Waters <xtifr@dsp.net> writes:

> What I was suggesting was that we look for more basic underlying issues.
> Rather than focusing on the specific case of compressed vs. uncompressed
> documentation, we should look at the basic concept of files that can
> appear in different forms with different names.  We already handle this
> at the gross inter-package level, but it might be nice to have a
> mechanism that can handle this within a package.

I would suggest that a cleaner solution than the ones presented that
would make most people happy would be the (discussed in the past)
config file options to dpkg like:

  (set-dpkg-doc-policy! 'no-docs)
or
  (set-dpkg-doc-policy! 'compressed)  ;; The default
or
  (set-dpkg-doc-policy! 'uncompressed)

or whatever.  Making these functions (and there could just as easily
be a shell script or command line option to do this) means that it
will automatically know to make the changes (next time it starts up)
whenever you change the option.

  $ dpkg --set-doc-policy compressed
  Compressing docs and adjusting documentation policy...done.
  $

(And no I don't expect dpkg to use guile for it's config syntax (I'm
sure there are good reasons not to), but I can still imagine that it
might :>)