Re: Debian is not a "main distro"?

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 02:52:55PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

> >To me it appeared that he compiles everything himself just "because".
>
>     And we just install packages just "because."  It is different, deal with
> it.

I don't do it 'just because'.  I do it because of the same reasons
that have been stated here over and over again.

> >It may be dependent on how much time one has to toy with compiling,
> >but it is certainly *no* option for me.
>
>     Oh, it is an option, just not one you choose.  However, with there is no
> other option I do hope that you'd actually get down and get your hands dirty
> with a program you need instead of wait for a package to come out.

Yes, and then he might release it to the community at large as a
Debian package, thus saving that work for all the rest of us.  That's
the idea instead of making all of us go through the same steps.. (and
having lots of people ask the same FAQ questions on irc, newsgroups,
mailing lists, etc..).

> >YMMV.
>
>     That's the point, people who run Slackware and like to compile do so
> because their milage does vary, please don't get all snooty on this list when
> speaking about them.

I think there is a certain part of that population one could be
justifiably 'snooty' about, because they themselves are running
slackware "because it is for real hackers" and other silly things like
that;-) Slackware is pretty popular amongst the "script kiddy"
population that I encounter on the italian linux help channel
(#linux-it on ircnet:-)

Anyway, it's probably best if we stop...  I think constructively, it's
best if we figure out 'what can we do to get more users' (that are
users we want to get..).

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org