Re: Debian is not a "main distro"?

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Joseph Carter wrote:

 : On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 09:18:39AM +0100, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
 : > I guess the poster in COLA should check his numbers...
 : >
 : > As a side note, I would like to know what does Slackware offers that
 : > Debian doesn't...  perhaps we should try to "market" our distribution to
 : > those old Slackware die-hards. Hey, I was one of those a long time ago. ;-)
 :
 : Um, not likely.
 :
 : "Me?  Use a package manager?  When hell freezes!"

I had this attitude when I first started using linux - of course, at
that time Slackware was the only distribution I'd heard of.  After a
few years I got tired of running into brick walls all the time (missing
libraries, unknown dependencies, etc.)  I tried RedHat ... it took a day
to ftp all the stuff, 2 hours to install, and it promptly exploded.  I
tried Debian .99whatever, and it was scary ... went back to Slackware.

A while later I built a server for some friends, and for some reason
ordered a Debian CD.  It was version 1.2, and it actually worked!  I
promptly subscribed to the lists, and I think -that's- what hooked me
... the continual discourse among developers was amazing.  I've ben a
happy Debian user (and advocate) ever since.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD