Re: Licence *not* copyright (was Re: Ading a wastebasket)

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> Stephen Zander wrote:
> > Copyright is absolute and belongs to the creator... you want to talk
> > to them about their *licensing*.  Please don't confuse the two.
>
> I agree.
>
> It has also bothered me that Debian packages have files called `copyright'
> but no `license' files.

Ok, a question about this:

The /usr/doc/copyright directory used to be full of "copyright+license"
files, which are now in /usr/doc/<package>/copyright. Now it does contain
only four common licenses: GPL, LGPL, BSD and Artistic.

Since the FHS will make this to be moved to /usr/share some day, it will
be an opportunity to change the name of the directory. Which would be a
good name for it? "license"? "licenses"? "common-licenses"? Some other?

Do they really qualify as "documentation", i.e. should this directory be
under /usr/share/doc or could it be directly under /usr/share?

--
 "8568e339c8aaac6aa764d1f35e62da9b" (a truly random sig)