Re: Base Set: Suggested additions & removals.

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> > >  We could then get rid of both `elvis-tiny' and `ae', and be
> > >  left with a powerful tool that is easy for beginners and
> > >  experienced folks alike.
> >
> > And we would be left without an editor which works when in single
> > user mode.  What a plan.
>
> Yes, its library requirements would have to be moved to /lib, like
> the slang library was for ae.

I can tell you, as the gpm maintainer, that libgpm is *not* moving
into /lib/.  It is gratuitous and unnecessary bloat of /.

> > >  `mc', the Midnight Commander, has a very nice editor built in
> > >  now.
> >
> > Does it do vi emulation?  I didn't think so.
>
> So? It is a very nice clean editor.

IYO.  We _must_ have a vi (or at worst, vi clone) available in the
base system.  You can't just arbitrarily decide that vi shouldn't be
included any more because you prefer mc.

The entire idea is ridiculous; just more mc-fanatics trying to shove
their idolised program down others' throats.  Give over already.  It
is a) way too big for the base system for the minimal or non-existent
``gain'' it offers and b) *not* a suitable replacement for what has
been proposed to be removed.

--
James
~Yawn And Walk North~