Re: The UNIX/Linux representative at Monday's Netscape compile..

Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

> Stephen Carpenter wrote:
> > ...does anyone know aout the other files...they have these other files like
> > "inbox.xxx" (I forget the  letters
> > and am too lazy to look eem up)
> > are those a standard format too?
>
> They are not.  They are in a propreitary format.  You will notice that
> for each of your folders (in regular mailbox format), there is one such
> file.  They contain the compressed folder.  In fact, if you find
> communicator crashes every time you try to open the mail client, it is
> most probably because of corruption of these compressed files.  Blow
> them away and relaunch communicator and compressess your folders again.
> Thigs should become more stable.

SO let me get this straight....they store BOTH my uncompressed..standard, unix
mailbox format messages AND
a compressed version of the same thing in the same directory??
am I the only one who thinks that that is a massive waste?
I mean I understan dthat it speeds things up but... it just doesn't make sense to
me
(its funny...in the win95 version that I use at work...
I just 10 mins ago did just as you said because the files had become corrupt...
but instead of crashing it said that there were 2 unread messages in debian-devel

when there were NO unread messages...it was always off by 2)
btw I have noticed prefs.js also tends to get corrupted easily