Seeing arps but not pings on new hamm install?

(I've cc'ed this to Donald Becker as the 3c509 driver author but he's
probably rather busy.)

I've got a Compaq LTE Lite 4/33c that I thought I'd install hamm on to
see how well the process worked.

First, the install hung for about 15 minutes doing something.  I had
read about this, so I just read mail on my X host.  Finally got
everything to work and I was humming along.  I went to use ftp to finish
the install but I couldn't reach the outside world.  As I investigated
further, I could see that everything seemed to be set up correctly.
ifconfig eth0 was happy; netstat -r -n was happy.  arp -a -n was showing
all 0's for mac addresses though...

I thought maybe the mondo kernel was causing some form of conflict with
the 3c509 card.  It hasn't before but there's a first time for
everything.  I compiled a custom kernel for the laptop and booted fine.
Still the same problem.

I logged onto my router to see what I could from there.  I tried pinging
the router from the laptop.  I received arps and sent them back but no
icmp ping packets were going through.  I was perplexed.  I set the
router and nameserver mac addresses manually with arp -s on the laptop.
Still nothing.  I'm real confused now.  Anyone seen this before?

(BTW, I swapped in a known working net card...)

Vital stats:
Compaq LTE Lite 4/33C  w/ docking station  (Intel 486 Compaq laptop)

3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, 10baseT port address 00-60-08-97-22-d2, IRQ 10
3c509.c: 1.12 6/4/97 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov

The arp messages that I get on my router when I try to ping the router
from the laptop are:
%ARP-6-900, 17-Mar-1998 00:01:35.440
Received a message on if en01, op = 1, spa = 204.122.30.5,
        sea = 00-60-08-97-22-d2,tpa = 204.122.30.2

%ARP-6-902, 17-Mar-1998 00:01:44.302
Sent a message on if en01, op = 2, spa = 204.122.30.5,
        sea = 00-00-a9-06-17-3b,tpa = 204.122.30.1

I get an entry in the routing table of the router but no icmp ping
packets are showing up back on the laptop.

I also get nothing if I try to ping the laptop from the router.

Help!

Darren
- --
<torin@daft.com> <http://www.daft.com/~torin> <torin@debian.org> <torin@io.com>