Lintian bug-reports

(moved to debian-devel)
> You may be right that a missing symlink /usr/doc/<pkg> -> <other-pkg> does
> not affect the functionality of our distribution though. However, I doubt
> that we'll have to move a package to orphan because of this bug--remember
> that non-maintainer uploads are possible all the time. But since this bug
> is so easy to fix, we can surely consider the package as "orphaned" if
> noone wants to fix this bug.

According to Brian's message on debian-devel, it already is moved. And so are
many other packages because of bugs detected by lintian. For example I wonder
why a package like ee is considered harmful as released. Lintian seems to
think that a non-existent file in md5sums is good enough reason...

I don't think that easines of bugfix is a good enough reason to mark it
severity important. IMO it was reserved for bugs that make it better to release
Debian without it.

I find it good that a new searching tool is done, but i don't like the fact
that it marked so many bugs important that not a single user had detected
before! A quick sample from Brians list:

adjtimex	lintian
adpkg		overlap
amanda-common	overlap
aout-xpm	wrong place
apache-ssl	lintian
arpd		lintian
ascii		lintian
asp		lintian
ax25utils	lintian
bitchx-lib	lintian
blt2		lintian
cfengine	lintian
cflow		lintian
cgiemail	wrong link
chinese-big5	copyright prob.
chord		copyright prob.

So most packages are nuked because of bugs that were only found by a script!!

Riku Voipio