Re: PostgreSQL upgrade will require Pre-Depends dependency

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Nicol=E1s_Lichtmaier?= wrote:
  >On Sat, Mar 14, 1998 at 08:20:19AM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
  >> =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nicol=E1s_Lichtmaier?= wrote:
  >>   >
  >>   > IMHO using packages for this is horribly broken. You should be able to
  >>   >solve this just by using simple maintainer scripts.
  >>   >
  >> The problem is that a different version of the binaries is needed to do
  >> the dump, but by the time the package knows that a dump is needed, those
  >> binaries have already been deleted.
  >>
  >> If the user is highly organised, there is no need for all this, but we
  >> have to cope with the situation of a large number of packages that are
  >> all being upgraded at once; few users can keep on top of all the
  >> implications, so the packaging system should cope.
  >>
  >> If you can suggest a better way, please do!
  >
  > You have the old binaries available when the new preinst runs..!

If so, I can indeed capture them and use them, but I asked that question
before and got no clear answer.

So - is it guaranteed that the binaries of a previous package will still
be available when preinst runs?  Can I rely on this behaviour indefinitely?
and will I be justified in raising a bug report if anyone breaks it in the
future?

If the answer to all these is yes, then I will, with great relief, put
all the necessary stuff in the preinst and postinst scripts for postgresql
itself, and there will be no need for a Pre-Dependnecy.