Re: 2 versions of netcat

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Joey Hess wrote:
> I just noticed that 2 versions of netcat are in incoming. Last night, I
> didn't realize this, and assumming that netcat was libc and noboday was
> working on it, I decided to fix it, and uploaded version 1.10-4. (I'm not
> the maintainer either, but I assummed the package was orphaned, so didn't do
> a non-maintainer release.). Oops, you got there first, way back in december!

Since new-maintainer@debian.org hasn't gotten back to me yet, and the
packages I've uploaded have been rejected because I haven't been
registered yet, you might as well ignore 1.10-3.1.

Michael Shields, the current maintainer, doesn't really have the time
to keep it up to date, so if you wanna take it (or if I could get
registered, *nudge nudge wink wink* :>) that'd be great.

> I see some overlap in the changelogs. Your version has:

[...]

Heh, maybe I should be more verbose in my changelogs. :) I'm slowly
getting the hang of this - I didn't notice that bugs resolved should
be mentioned in the changelog.

There's actually quite a bit of overlap.

[...]

> I've now taken it upon myself to resolve this by releasing 1.10-5, which
> merges the man pages (mine was longer, but yours was better in places; the
> diff of the 2 is amusing :-), and compiles with -DTELNET.

Heh, that works. I wrote the man page almost entirely by cutting and
pasting stuff from the upstream README. :)

Can you send this to me via e-mail? I don't have an account on master yet.

Also I've been hearing that there's a namespace conflict between nc
(netcat) and nc (nedit-client). Any ideas on this one? I think it'd be
easier to rename the latter because it's not a backend tool and thus not
likely to be used in scripts. (And of course because it wouldn't affect
me. :)
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@oz.net
All I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power.