Re: Debian violates GPL?

On Sun, Dec 20, 1998 at 11:07:40AM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:

> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:
>
> > 1) Pristine tar.gz files cannot be generated
>
> Depends on what you mean by pristine.  The files inside the
> .orig.tar.gz that gets regenerated from CVS wil be byte for byte
> identical to the ones in the upstream tarfile, and the directory names
> will be the same.  The only differences should be those caused by
> version differences in tar/gzip.  And this should only be used in rare
> curcumstances anyway, so as long as the contents are identical, who
> cares about the binary diff of the tar files?

We lose all of the following information:

 * CVS directories or files (very bad for cases where this
   is shipped upstream, perhaps to allow people to easily upgrade
   themselves)

 * Owner, and sometimes, permissions.  Granted, owner stuff is not
   usually important, but permissions can be.

 * Any file containing CVS-like $Id$, $Date$, etc. tags will be munged.

> > 3) Takes a lot more space in most cases
>
> Maybe as compared to storing a single .tgz file, but not after you've
> got 10 upstream releases in there (which CVS stores as diffs).  Also

Whoa, nobody's saying we need to keep every previous release around!   I see
no case when we'd need that many.  All I'm arguing for, and this I believe
is the same as others, is that as long as there is a .deb of a certain
version of a package, the source used to generate that .deb ought to exist
as well.  Please don't confuse things like that.  I'm not saying we need to
keep *every* previous version, not at all.

> > 5) How can you refer to a CVS directory full of ,v files
> >    that can change with a md5sum in changes or dsc or whatever files?
>
> You don't.  You always export a tree before doing something like
> that.  An export (as opposed to a checkout) has none of the ./CVS
> administrative files in the tree.

And this export does not always generate the same md5sum.  Heck, a different
timestamp can throw things off!  So we have really no good way of verifying
validity.

>   cvs checkout -r release_hamm -d rxvt package/rxvt
>   cvs checkout -r release_bo -d rxvt package/rxvt

You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't need solving.  Our problem is
that, *within* a distribution, sources disappear for programs that need
them.  This has nothing to do with previous distributions.