Re: 2.0.3x Kernel feature - immutable and append only files

In article <cistron.199812171411.OAA07766@linda.lfix.co.uk>,
Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:
>What utilities (if any) support append only and immutable files?  It doesn't
>seem to be a feature of chmod and apropos produces nothing for immutable,
>append or acl. There doesn't seem to be a chacl program anywhere.
>
>Does the fileutils package need to be upgraded to support this feature?

It's part of e2fsprogs. You're looking for "chattr" and "lsattr".

I use it here to set the immutable bit on all .rhost files of the
users that have access to multiple machines, so that they (or someone
masquerading as them) can't change their .rhosts file and login to
a private machine from a public machine without password.

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?