Re: [jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk: Re: dpkg on other unix]

On Wed, Dec 16, 1998 at 02:16:18PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > The discussion came up about having debian ports for non-free OS's. I have
> > already started on a Solaris one myself (79 packages mostly gnu stuff),
> > Irix is next.
> Is there anybody who successfully compiled dpkg on HP-UX.
> I've heard that this is kind of a problem.
> Or may be someone plans a Debian for HP-UX?

Not that I know of. It would require some porting, but is not impossible
IMO.

> Is it possible to build a Debian-tree for normal users which aren't
> root.  I maintain a kind of a /usr/local tree on a HP-UX without
> access to root privilegs and would like to use dpkg for this stuff.

I'm sure you could make dpkg sgid with a new group 'dpkg' and make the
directories group writable by that group, I would also make it so ppl have
to be in group 'dpkg' to execute it (2754). Would require some harcoded
changes in dpkg and related scripts to make sure it 1) creates directories
775 with grou dpkg, and 2) make files group 'dpkg'.

The main thing to worry about is stuff that needs to be in /etc as opposed
to /usr/local/etc like rc scripts. Then again maybe a main init script
that calls the ones in /usr/local/etc/init.d. Then there are inetd
programs, cron scripts...etc...

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org