Re: Nomination question: Redhat

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> Redhat has supposedly been removing GPL libs from their dist the same way
> we removed KDE.  They don't like the GPL for libs and instead of
> supporting the authors who want their software to be kept free they would
> rather essentially sell out on the whole free software idea and try to
> convince proprietary software vendors to port their apps as quick as
> possible to Redhat since Redhat is quickly becoming the dist that allows
> the most exploit.
>
> Essentially, the accusation is that Redhat is selling out on us by not
> allowing GPL libs and replacing GPL libs where they can with Redhat
> written code under the LGPL.

Huh?  That's a bizarre accusation.

I believe that the GPL for libraries is rather heavy handed.  However,
we've already agreed as a project to accept it, so I'll live with it..

There are significant enough technical differences between Red Hat and
Debian to enable users to make an educated choice.  We do not need to
resort to spreading FUD-ish information around to gain market share.

Red Hat is an "ally" of Debian.  They are our friends.  They help us
out.  The are a lot of examples of code and patches in Debian that
came from Red Hat employees and projects.  I don't understand why
anybody would have a problem with that.

Cheers,

 - Jim