Re: egcs produces bloated code by default

On Mon 26 Oct 1998, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> writes:
>
>    I'm not sure what's up with your system but it certainly does not match my
>    results.. Try stripping the file.
>
> So why does egcs have -g enabled by default?  That doesn't match the

You're confusing the symbol table with debugging info. -g generates
all sorts of debugging info (e.g. source file name and line number
information) which is useful when debugging, while the symbol table
only has global symbols listed (not quite correct, but near enough).
The symbol table itself is enough to tell you in which function a
program crashes, but not on which line number in which source file.

So, you can basically have three versions:

- unstripped, with -g info
- unstripped, without -g info (THIS is the default)
- stripped

These are listed in descending order of size.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands