Re: more from Linux Foundation

    James> We have been personally invited to 'partner' with these
    James> guys.  Their motive is clear - money. It is amazing how
    James> many groups think they can come in and control a piece of
    James> Linux.

    Ben> Hmm..

    Brian> I represent the Linux Foundation which is a non profit
    Brian> organization designed to help the integration of Linux into
    Brian> the business community.

    Ben> Non profit -- how can their motive be money?

    James> Take a look at their web page. The test costs US$120. Just
    James> because a company is non-profit doesn't mean there aren't
    James> people making a lot of money from it. Many non-profit
    James> organizations have people making very nice 6 digit
    James> salaries.

I really see no problem with them making US$120 off this test. If
there's opposition to it, why not come up with a free test?

I think the point is that most businesses unfortunately still view
tests that cost money as an effective way of weeding out people who
are not serious about their jobs. If these folks want to make a Debian
certification test, why not just let them? If we're unhappy with
the results, we can come up with a free certification plan.

There's really nothing wrong with people making money off of
Debian. Heck, if someone wanted to start a whole corporation dedicated
to the support of Debian Linux and charge $5,000 a year for their
support, I'd be perfectly happy for them to do so.

Isn't the point of Debian that you can do *anything* with it,
including making money off of it?

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters M and L and the number 16.
"He's kissing Christian.. and it's making you die." -- that dog.