Re: Poor Man's XT doc (pre-releace)

Russell Coker wrote:
>>Does X allow sharing of floppy disks and audio?????
>
>The X protocol does Audio.  For floppy disks you need to have some sort of
>setup for mounting them.  Maybe NBD would help for this...

NBD?

IMHO, use of diskettes is going to make things awkward for and X-Terminal,
because access needs to be authenticated... Maybe this is where NDB
fits it (what is NBD), however I tend to avoid using floppy disks
whenever possible (they always seen to be too unreliable).

>>Question: Why is /etc/mtab required? Why not just have a symlink
>>from /etc/fstab to /proc/mounts? Although on my computer, the entry
>>in /proc/mounts for the root partition looks wrong:
>>/dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
>
>I'm not sure.  Try making it a sym-link and see what happens.  Make sure you
>mount with "-n".
>
>>The correct device should be /dev/hda2 not /dev/root.
>
>ln -s /dev/hda2 /dev/root

Good idea.

>>/etc requires write access in order to allow local-logins (I think),
>>as libc6 creates a file called /etc/.pwd.lock (YUCK!). (I am not
>>absolutely certain that this is still the case, however I did see
>>a bug reported against libc6 that this file is never deleted).
>
>On my system /etc/.pwd.lock is dated the 11th of July.  I guess it doesn't
>need to be writable.

I suspect that .pwd.lock has been removed in latest versions of libc6,
(I doubt there ever was any need for it), but
you would need to delete it and see if it is re-created...

I remember sometime ago that somebody filed a bug report against
the package that contains /bin/login, saying it didn't allow logins
when /etc was mounted read-only, and the response was that /etc cannot
be mounted ro because libc6 required /etc/.pwd.lock (or something
similar).

Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>