Re: X11 Packages

> Oh, there's a million bugs against XF86Setup with respect to how it gets
> called and under what circumstances.  It should probably be its own package.

good idea.

what about this :
don't do configuration in the postinst scripts at all.  maybe not nice, but
some script that is manual called after the installation could far easier
check all conditions and work apropriate.

this brings me back to the idea of dpkg running something after everything has
be done. only once. that way you can't evel the status information, but
things won't be called several times, and some mechanism to delay these thing
for some time could be used.

> > also isn't the use of /usr/{bin,lib}/X11 symlinks disrecommended ?
>
> No, I'm pretty sure that's standard practice.

found it in fsstnd :
    /usr/bin/X11 -> /usr/X11R6/bin
    /usr/lib/X11 -> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
    /usr/include/X11 -> /usr/X11R6/include/X11

In general, software should not be installed or managed via the above symbolic
links.  They are intended for utilization by users only.  The difficulty is
related to the release version of the X Window System -- in transitional
periods, it is impossible to know what release of X11 is in use.  For the same
reason, there should not be a symbolic link from /usr/X11 pointing to the
current X Window System hierarchy.

andreas