Re: Gnome Midnight Commander (Was: Weekend upgrade seems to mess up L ocales)

Hello

On Thu, Jul 30, 1998 at 10:34:56PM +0200, Paul Seelig wrote:
> BFulgham@CH2M.com (Fulgham, Brent/SCO) writes:
>
> > This would make a good package, and it's easy to build from the sources
> > on rhlab's ftp site.  If there's interest I could throw together a
> > package unless the Midnight Commander developer wants to do it.
> >
> No, he really doesn't want to! ;-)
>
> I care mainly for the working console version and don't want to bother
> about the gtk+ devel version.  I had it compiled and running a few
> weeks ago but didn't get the impression that it's really useable yet
> and therefore decided not to package it myself.
>
> Michael Bramer <grisu@debian.org> mailed me because he was interested
> in doing a gmc package.  Since i'm currently not having much time
> anyway i simply offered him the complete MC package.  This was just
> recently and therefore i haven't heard back from him yet if he'd like
> to take it or not.  I think that that it would be the right thing to
> package both the console and the gtk+ version by a single maintainer
> for obvious reasons and if someone could make it better than i do, i'd
> be happy to benefit from someone else's work as well. ;-)

I have play a little bit with mc/gmc.

I can make a dpkg-buildpackage but without '--without-gnome' on the
configure-line, the package don't run :-(

You can get the output from dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -rfakeroot &> on
http://weh.rwth-aachen.de/~michael/mc-compile-error.txt

The error is:
# ....
# gcc   -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib -lgnomeui -lgnome -lgnomesupport -ldl
# -lgdk_imlib -ltiff -lz -ljpeg -lgif -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lSM -lICE -L/usr/lib
# -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -lglib -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -o gmc mad.o main.o
# dlg.o screen.o
# widget.o wtools.o info.o boxes.o file.o find.o dialog.o help.o key.o chmod.o
# chown.o view.o panelize.o hotlist.o listmode.o background.o dir.o util.o win.o
# color.o profile.o user.o ext.o setup.o tree.o subshell.o terms.o achown.o
# fsusage.o
# mountlist.o regex.o complete.o command.o option.o cmd.o utilunix.o popt.o
# xslint.o gkey.o gmain.o gscreen.o gwidget.o gmenu.o ghelp.o ginfo.o glayout.o
# gtools.o gdesktop.o gtrans.o gutil.o gcmd.o gmc-chargrid.o gview.o gprop.o
# gpageprop.o gcliplabel.o gcache.o gblist.o -L../vfs -L../slang -L../edit -lvfs
# -lmcslang -ledit  -lX11  -lSM -lICE -lcrypt
# util.o: In function `get_current_wd':
# /home/michael/mc/mc-4.1.35/gnome/util.c:876: the `getwd' function is dangerous
# and should not be used.
# /usr/lib/libpng.so: undefined reference to `__deregister_frame_info'
# /usr/lib/libpng.so: undefined reference to `__register_frame_info'
# ...

dpkg -l|grep png:
# michael@titanic:~/mc/mc-4.1.35 > dpkg -l |grep png
# ii  libpng0         0.96-5         PNG library - libc5 runtime compatibility
# ii  libpng0g        0.96-5         PNG library - runtime
# rc  libpng0g-dev    0.96-5         PNG library - development
# ii  libpng1         0.89c-6        PNG library - runtime
# ii  libpng2         1.0.1-0.2      PNG library - runtime
# ii  libpng2-dev     1.0.1-0.2      PNG library - development

I don't find the error.

:-(

Grisu