Re: what options do we have was Re: POSIX shell; bash ash pdksh & /bin/sh

On Thu, Jul 30, 1998 at 01:33:00PM -0400, Will Lowe wrote:
> > have not packaged yet?  A slim /bin/sh would be nice.  I currently use
> > ash and am happy with the change.  cron scripts and boot time seems
> > better.
>
> I'll agree that it's good to have a POSIX-compliant shell around for the
> sake of compatibility,  but who says we can't use ash as /bin/sh and just
> keep bash around for compatibility?  Does the posix standard state that
> the posix-compliant shell must be accessable via /bin/sh?  It'd be nice if
> the standard let you call the shell /bin/posixsh or something so that if
> you absolutely needed posix features for whatever script you were writing
> you could use #!/bin/posixsh ...

The sense I get is that POSIX probbaly does require /bin/sh to be
the shell as it defines, I mean..it defines so many other things...
and it defines what the POSIX compatible shell is...it would be rather
non-portable if everyone could just name it anything.

Mind you...I do not have a copy of the POSIX standard...nor have I read it
m..nor would I know wher eto get it...but...it makes sense that it has to be
and that is the sense I get from the peopl ewho do know it better.

> Alternatively,  can we add posixisms to ash?  Or talk the upstream people
> into it?

I have been thinking about it...
maybe it would be better to take a very close to POSIX shell...and
make it very very STRICT POSIX with no extensions...specifically made to
break anything that uses non-POSIX features.

I wouldn't put such a shell as the main shell of a production machine
or even make it the default shell...but...it would be helpful for
a) people who just want a simple, fast and minimal /bin/sh for scripts
...and b) those who want to test and make sure scripts using /bin/sh
are POSIX compatible.

Of course...I don't know how feasable this is (as I said above...I don't
have a copy of the standard and I am not too terribly well versed in
sh anyway....)

just my $0.019 (one of the pennies has a scratch in it)
-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"