Re: Ideas from Usenix

Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> writes:

> Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:
>
>    Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:
>    > gimp already does this on startup.  You could use its code.
>
>    I think fortune would be a more versitile implementation than what the
>    gimp uses.  Neither deal with frequence of use for commands, but fortune
>    deals with a much larger database of messages.
>
> I meant the front-end code.  You could make the backend a SQL server
> for all that.

Yah right, so now I am gonna be running an SQL server so that my users
can get a few tips now and then when they start up their application?
Leave the things in a text file like quote.

Each application can have their own set of tips, these tips can be
stored in a simple file and maybe given weights as to their
applicability.  The tips would go under /usr/share/appname/ or
something similiar.  Basically, just like Raul mentioned, the quote
service.  Then each application can do what they want as far as
display mechanisms go for these tips.l  Maybe even make a widget in
Gtk specifically for this.